Saturday, July 6, 2013

Literature: New and Old

A friend lent me a a series of books by Shanna Swendson.  She had the first four of seven.  



I've ordered the last three but so far the series is really fun and inventive. 

They are about a girl named Katie who lives in New York and can't quite make sense of all the odd things she sees.  Originally from Texas, she tries to make the best of the oddities until the day that her ability to see all the weirdness is noted by a magical firm that is looking for a girl just like her.  Aggressively recruited by an influential and secretive magical firm, Katie embarks on her new career as a magical immune and a new attraction with the firm's shy but powerful r&d man, Owen Palmer.   

 I've loved reading them and can't wait to read the rest. 

***

I've also recently finished the latest Sarah Eden.  



It was more realistic and less rompish than other regency novels.  It had some truly tragic qualities.  And it was beautiful.  I'm glad that she has written such a variety of stories.  


***

And this exchange has been running through my head this week:

"I am not going to run away, Papa," said Kitty, fretfully; "if I should ever go to Brighton, I would behave better than Lydia."    

"You go to Brighton! - I would not trust you so near it as East Bourne, for fifty pounds!  No, Kitty, I have at last learnt to be cautious, and you will feel the effects of it.  No officer is ever to enter my house again, nor even to pass through the village.  Balls will be absolutely prohibited, unless you stand up with one of your sisters.  And you are never to stir out of doors, till you can prove, that you have spent ten minutes of every day in a rational manner."

Kitty, who took all these threats in a serious light, began to cry.  

"Well, well," said he, "do not make yourself unhappy.  If you are a good girl for the next ten years, I will take you to a review at the end of them."

-Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Volume Three, Chapter Six

The whole exchange is funny.  However, I have been thinking on the rational part of it.  Apparently I am to begin spending some of my day in a rational manner.  I'm not entirely certain how I feel about it.  Time will tell, I suppose.

And since I am thinking of Mr. Bennet and his declarations, I thought to add this extra tidbit of wisdom:

"So, Lizzy," said he one day, "your sister is crossed in love I find.  I congratulate her.  Next to being married, a girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then."

-Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Volume Two, Chapter One 

He always seemed to get it so right and so wrong, all at the same time. 

***

I wrote Naughty Neville several years ago.  It is about a little boy, named Neville, who is quite naughty on Halloween night.  

Naughty Neville is actually loosely modeled on Cassandra, a short story (told in several one to two sentence chapters) about a little girl who spends her day doing very naughty things and is very pleased with herself at the end of it.  (Jane Austen wrote Cassandra.)

Shortly after writing Naughty Neville, I wanted to add an addendum of sorts to the ending.  

This last week, I finally got around to my addendum.  It still ends with a very pleased Neville laughing himself to sleep over his very naughty deeds.  However, when you turn the page, there is now a picture of Santa looking through the window with a shocked expression on his face and his naughty/nice list in his hand.  It would seem that Naughty Neville may have to pay the piper in the end.  

Five is a particular fan of Naughty Neville.  Five is very like Naughty Neville and he has always enjoyed the fact that Neville had apparently gotten away with his mischief.

After altering the ending, I reread Naughty Neville to Five.

When we finished, his face showed a war of emotions.  He was slightly disappointed that Neville may not truly get away with his misdeeds.  However, Five's lip kept quirking up at the corners, letting me know that he appreciated the clever twist.  

It's nice to have these moments with Five.     



 

No comments:

Post a Comment