Thursday, November 20, 2014

Fractured Fibula

So...I fell.  Missed a step.  Heard my ankle crunch.  Waited for it to feel better.  After five minutes of pain, that seemed to increase in ouchiness, I crawled upstairs and called for help.  BMB came and got me and Baby and off we went.  

I wanted the doctor to tell me that I was just being a big baby.  They sent me for X-Rays.  Red flagged my file.  That's never happened before.  

Well, she didn't call me a baby. Instead she said I broke a bone.  Simple fracture. She told me that if there is a bone to break in your leg, it is the fibula.  It is the outside, lower leg bone.  Non- weight bearing.  
Image result for leg bone diagram


Um...good?

Husband was out of town.  Like way out of town.  In fact, he was out of the country.  I have a little one that literally keeps my running, and I had just broken my leg.  

You know what my thought was?

I thought, "Well, I'm thirty-five and I've never really broken a major bone.  Guess, it's my turn."

No kidding.  And I had no pain meds to blame it on.

Weird thought, right?  

Anyway, they splinted me.

Can you tell where I nailed it?  Right above the ankle joint.


And for the first time in my life I didn't have wankles (weak ankles), I had a cankle.  It would have been cool if it didn't hurt so much. 


Friends, neighbors, family, and the Relief Society kicked in.  They set up meals, rides for the kids, childcare for the baby, grocery shopping, and more.  We have been very, very well taken care of.


I had the splint for a few days and managed to skip pain meds all together.  So either I am amazing or a masochist.  Not sure which.  

Today I went to my casting appointment, very worried about being in a cast for two months.  (You do not even want to hear about the shower adventures I had.)


And what do you know?  They decided to boot me instead.  Yay! 

My leg hurts really bad right now because I was on it like crazy today but hopefully that will settle down.  And I can take it off for showers.  Double yay!



In the end, breaking a bone is no fun.  But, we were able to feel the love of those around us, and we are very grateful for the all the service that everyone has given to us and offered to give.  Challenges are no fun - but they can give us great insight into how amazing all those around us really are.  Doesn't the world just a feel a little brighter, a little warmer, when you feel the love of those around you?

And in the meantime, I am building muscular arms and upper thighs from all the modified movement I am doing.  

So it really is a double blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment