Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sewing Project Mania Update

  A few months ago, I went through a cutting mania for a whole bunch of quilting projects I was going to do.  I searched high and low, here and there for the right fabrics.  And then I created the right mixes of those fabric groupings for different women that I love and wanted to serve.  I made three different mixes out of each fabric family, all custom for each woman.  Then I cut for days, nay weeks, it felt like.  Until my little fingers hurt.

I was so excited to make everyone a homemade Christmas gift!



Then I had kind of a lousy couple of months health wise.  September and October are kind of a blur of blech.

So I whittled my goals down from thirteen completed quilts for Christmas to one.  
(It takes me about ten hours from start to finish for each one.  And that is without the added help of Baby as he pulls all the sewing pins out of the pin cushion or as he pushes the sewing peddle and then laughs as I shriek in fear.)  


I got busy.  

Planning, ironing, piecing.



I even split the back to give it some flare on the other side.  (This picture doesn't do it justice but anyway...)  I was on a roll. 


Then I put it in order...and I felt like crying.

It wasn't right.  The blue and brown combo was too dark.  I wanted something lighter, airier, like winter snowflakes.  And I made something heavy.

I went to bed feeling very defeated.  



And then, for whatever miraculous reason (perhaps laziness at the idea of picking out all those darn stitches or perhaps just seeing it in the light of a new and sunny day), I woke up and looked at it again and I loved it.  Not for what I thought I was going to do with it in the beginning but for what it came out to express at the end.

Excited I finished piecing the back.

I cut the backing and the middle to all fit and got ready to pin and sew the edges.  

Then I might have taken a tiny tumble down a measly step or two and fractured my fibula.  

Is it just me or does the universe seem to be fighting me on these sewing projects?

So...I am determined to finish this quilt, Universe.  Do you hear me?  Determined.

And if you don't get a homemade quilt this year, well...better luck next year.  Or the year after that.  After all, I've done most of the planning and cutting.  So odds are I will get a few done by Christmas next year.  If you don't get one this year (or next) it doesn't mean I don't love you, care about you, or want to do it for you.  Well, some of you.  I really don't know who all reads this.  Anyway, I want to do it.  But apparently it will take a small miracle for this to all finally come together.  

And for the lucky woman that gets this quilt this year, well, I hope you can appreciate the darker features.  If not, only use it when the lights are off.  Because I am fighting against a crazy curse here and I am not sure who will get the last laugh in the end.     

1 comment:

  1. I actually think the best quilts are those that have a punch of strong contrast somewhere. I know that wasn't the look you were going for, but from my point of view, this is quite a successful layout!

    ReplyDelete