Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Cast Cover

I know that it doesn't look like much but this custom cast cover allowed us to enjoy a day at the beach without ending up with a sand-filled cast.  

As first, I wanted to just use a sock or something to cover the whole cast.  Simple, right?  But that wouldn't allow for Five to use his fingers.  For hours.  That didn't seem very nice.  

So I found an old glove, that had the wrist elastic shot - so that it could expand to fit over the top of the cast.  I found a light, cheap fabric in my stash (didn't want to use an expensive fabric as I didn't know if it would turn out and didn't want to use a regular or heavyweight fabric as we would be outside in the hot sun and didn't want to encourage a humid hot box for sweat to form in the cast.  And Five had to have green....)Then I made a simple tube out of the fabric with ties at either end so I could seal off the top and bottom of the cast to prevent sand from getting in the cast.  

Voila!  Custom cast cover.  Five was good about wearing it.  And we all enjoyed the beach.

Now, if I could just design a waterproof cast cover, I could make millions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment