Friday, January 31, 2014

More Book Chat

Well.  I dove into the Michael Vey books.  And now I am in installment hell.  Similar to trilogy hell, installment hell, is when you fall completely into a story, only to be jolted into crazy land at the end because the series has several more books that need to be released.  And the only thing you can do is wait.....  So.  Thank you for that Richard Paul Evans.  Thank.  You.  For.  That.

Installment hell might actually be even worse than trilogy hell because there will be seven total installments in the Michael Vey series (as opposed to three in trilogy).  So I get to experience the fun of a new book (and new psychosis at the end of each one) for the next four years.  So fun.  

The cherry on top of this crud sundae?  I finished the third in the series.  And of course had my breath taken away.  It was so good!  I was talking about how good some of the plot points were with Four.  He agreed and discussed all of his favorites.  And then?  Then Four called dibs on the next Michael Vey book.  Dibs!  Should I get all technical and suggest that calling dibs is like calling shotgun.  You need to be able to see the car to call shotgun.  Likewise, you need to be able to see the book (or at least have a release date) to call dibs?   

I know I gave him the books in the first place.  I know it looks pretty underhanded to want to keep the next book for myself first.  He's a child, for Heaven's sake.  Where are my manners?

When it comes to books, I don't have any manners.  No honor.  No anything.  Just give me the book and walk slowly away.  Books are also the only real gray area in my life.  The only time when, theoretically, you could make a sound argument on theft for a good book (only to read and return of course).  The only time, when in theory, I might agree that there is a possible good excuse for larceny.  Yep.  I am concerned as well.  But I am going to justify my concern by comparing myself with the worst of the lot.  Because I think it will be a sound strategy at judgment day.  While I may, in theory only, believe that honor about books is a gray area (similar to Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread because they were all starving), it's not like I am advocating murder or anything.  

Just maybe taking a book that arrives while my child is at school and hiding it until I can fully read it first.  Not murder.  Just order.  

So in summation, the Michael Vey books are excellent adventures.  You are welcome to borrow them.  Jump right in.  You won't regret it.  
(Until you are finished with the third and realize that you in installment hell with Four and me.)  

***

In the meantime, to cope with the feelings of despair that accompany trilogy hell, I jumped into the newest Sarah Eden.  At first, I thought she was going in the direction of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.  Which just happens to be my second favorite Bronte novel.  

Side discussion:  Honestly, is there a better villain than Huntington?  He is fantastically layered. Complex.  Demented.  Attractive.  Repulsive.  Simple.  I have always believed that Huntington should never meet Lady Susan (one of Austen's best antagonists).  I think the world would have a meltdown.  This is another reason I keep my Brontes and Austens on different book shelves.  No point in causing world destruction.  Until the books are all read, anyway. 

Back to Sarah Eden's latest.  It quickly veered out of Wildfell territory and into a nice adventure.  An original story, worthy in its own right.  She writes delicious page turners and I loved this latest story.  A lovely tale, complete with honorary appearances by almost all the Jonquils, Lord and Lady Cavratt, and the Duke of Kielder.  Very satisfying.  Took about twenty four hours to finish.  That is the one problem with Sarah Eden books.  She writes page turners.  Which means they are over all too soon.  

***

Speaking of page turners, one of my favorites is The False Prince.  I've read it several times and have tried, relentlessly and unsuccessfully, to get Four interested. 

Side note:  Four reminds me (in personality only) of Ostin from the Michael Vey series.  Very bright.  Very curious.  Sometimes feels like you are talking to an encyclopedia.  And he loves to read.  (He agrees with the Ostin similarity.)

And since Sage from The False Prince has always reminded me of Five, I thought for sure Four would fall in love with the book, as I have.  About a year ago, I convinced him to read it.  He read a few chapters, declared himself stupendously bored, and quit.  

I thought my head would explode.  

A few months later, I tried to entice him again.  Didn't work.  I tried bribery.  Didn't work.  I tried excessive bribery.  No dice. 

I let it go.  

Two days ago, at the dinner table, Four offered to try to read the book again. 

Really?  Seriously?  I could hardly contain my excitement.  But I did my best to be nonchalant.  

Me: Yeah, whatever.  You can read what you want.
Four: Well, I will only read it if you get it for me.
Me: (Still trying to be nonchalant) Get it yourself.
Four: Nope.  Only if you get it for me.
Me: (Impressed that he had taken my measure and was exploiting it).  Alright, alright.  

I rushed to get him the book.    

Ten minutes later he had to put it down to do his chore.  I had to practically pry the book from his fingers.  Apparently this reading was going better than the last time around.

He quickly did his chore and returned to his book.  He read until after bedtime.  He read before school.  He read at school.  He read after school.  He read in bed.  He snuck a flashlight into bed to keep reading.  By that time, he had a few chapters left so...I let him read in secret under his covers.  Who am I to crush his spirit and take away the book with only a little left?  (As I think I have made the point before, I am willing to break some rules when it comes to a good book.)

I went to bed.  I was close to dozing when a figure came at me in the dark.  He had just finished the book and he wanted to discuss it.  And he wanted the second book in the series.  Stat.  I told him he couldn't start the second book until the morning.  But we did discuss the first book.  He made character connections between Dr. Hatch and Connor which I thought were apt.  He talked about the plot points.  The surprises.  The things he expected.  

I asked him what was different about this time.  His response?  

I'm older now.  I understood it better.  And Mom, it was so good!  

I grinned in the dark.  Sometimes, because he is so Ostin like, it is easy for me to forget that he is only nine.  

I woke up to him this morning, demanding the second book.  That's my boy.

And just before I sent him off to bed last night, I called him back for one last comment.

Me: Four?
Four: Yeah, Mom?
Me: I am so glad that you liked the book.  And I will get the second for you in the morning.  But, Four?
Four: Yeah?
Me: The third one comes out in the next month.  And I call dibs.

He growled in the dark.  Alright.  So maybe I will let him have the fourth Michael Vey first when it comes.  Even if he is not home when it comes.  I suppose I can have some honor.  At least when it comes to this amazing kid.   

No comments:

Post a Comment