Monday, December 29, 2014

Visit

Three's sister, C, visited for the weekend.  We hung out and chilled for much of it.  The kids watched movie after movie.  

Last night, C wanted to watch Austenland. I love Austenland.  But I am a bit of an Austen nut and let's face it, if I didn't have Husband, there is no certainty that I wouldn't have ended up choosing to be as awesome as Jane Hayes Erstwhile and visited Austenland personally.  So I am probably considered an outlier. 

I warned C that it was funny and cheesy and if you are not an Austen fan, you might miss out on a lot of the inside jokes.  She was willing to give it a try.  I told her that if we were twenty minutes in and she wanted to try something else we could.

So we began.  With all the kids in the room.  The boys were there.  All of them.  Watching a girl movie.  I thought for sure we would lose the boys and C would probably pull the emergency end and choose a different movie after twenty minutes.  

I'm not sure any of them were really into it twenty minutes in.  But none of them left the room.  And none of them complained.  

So we rallied on.

And soon they were laughing.  I had to explain some of the references.  And they didn't care for every nuance.  

But they stuck it out.

And today, in the car, Three told me how funny that movie ended up being.  And then all the boys started singing "It's getting hot in here," and calling out their favorite lines or scenes.

Who knew?  

Not me.  

***

Today we had to return C.

When we went to pick her up on Saturday, we left for a typical 45 minute drive - an hour and a half early.  I hate being late to anything.  We were meeting at the beach so I figured if we got there early, Three and I could just chill at the beach and wait.

In reality, we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for three hours and ended up picking her up way late.  Oh.  Yeah.  That burned.

So today, being a Monday, we left two hours early to do the 45 minute drive.  I was not going to be late again!  It took 45 minutes.  Of course.

Which ended up being really fun. 

We grabbed the beach blanket I always keep in the car and went and enjoyed the beach for over an hour.









I couldn't seem to get them to all look at the camera at once.  This was the best I could get.


And I took the sibling photo that I take every time we get together so they can have lots of sibling pictures.  This picture turned out well but I can't help feeling a little sad when I look at it.  A, their brother, moved to the midwest a few months ago, and M, their sister, is off the radar.  Two of the siblings missing from this pic is hard to see.


But I have to try to keep looking on the bright side.  
It was a beautiful day at the beach.  And at least Three got to hang with one of his sibs for a few days.  That's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment