Tuesday, December 31, 2013

End of Year Book Review

On Jan 1, 2011, I wrote this:

Every year, my goal is to read 52 books.

(not including the hundreds of children's books I read to my children every year)

Even though I didn't reach my goal, I did better than last year.

In 2009, I read 32 books.

In 2010, I read 40 books.

If I continue to increase by the same amount I will read 48 books in 2011 and 56 books in 2012. Although, if I were to go with these numbers, the growth would be exponential, meaning that in 2020, I would read 120 books.

That's insanity.

It's just not going to happen.

On the other hand, I am an amazonaholic. It's like putting a fully-stocked bar into an alcoholic's computer room. The access is easy and the draw is overwhelming. So, while it is possible that I would purchase or check out 120 books in 2020, I have no idea how I would find the time to read them all.

I think I will just stick with the 52 books goal.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I hope you all reach your goals this year, so long as it is not something crazy, like reading 120 books in a year.

I can't support that kind of insanity.

Yep.  I'm so vain that I am quoting myself.  Might as well buy myself a charity and name it after me...

However, to the present point...

in 2011, I ended up reading 87 books.  Far surpassing my goal of 52.

And in 2012, I read 125.  Far surpassing my idea of insanity.

And in 2013, I read 141 books.  

At this point, I have no idea what that makes me.  What is beyond insane?  

In reality, I wrote very little this year.  Only a few short stories and a few entries into my latest novel.  So I had more free time to disappear into other's works.  But, I also had a new baby, who was colicky, which decidedly cut into normal reading time.  It evened out, I guess.  

However, I am in shock.  I can't believe I am lucky enough to read so many creations.  141 stories.  About 75% of them were worthy of my time.  So many adventures.  So many laughs.  So many gasps of wonder and delight.    

And for Christmas, I got a Kindle.  Oh heavens above!  

I will demur from making any predictions about how many adventures I will engage in during the next year, but I can say that I am very much looking forward to returning to some great reads and exploring new territory.  

And I have decided on my dream job.  I want to read for Mirror Press, Shadow Mountain, or Covenant.  I love what they publish and I want to be a part of the process.  Dreams today...   

No comments:

Post a Comment